Release Notes for 16/12/2014, version 188.8.131.520
Happy Holidays, Decemberings, and other end of the year tidings! The office illnesses have come and gone (for me) and things are looking up for a festive year end. And just for you, we have an update filled with new careers, holiday goodies, Gallery fun-ness, some cheats, a gnome on the go, a few holiday tunes, interface updates, and a bug or two squashed!
As this is a bit long on the details, and in an effort to keep it brief, I’ll cut my monologue short. So, without further ado, on with the datums!
The Big NEW
- Business Career
- Climb the corporate ladder, choosing between Angel Investor or Business Tycoon
- New Career Outfits
- New Reward Objects and Interactions
- New Career Reward Rooms
- Athletic Career
- Kick, punch, and swing your way through the Athletic career, choosing between Hall of Famer or Mr./Ms. Solar System
- New Career Outfits (did someone say Llamacorn mascot outfit?)
- New Reward Objects and Interactions
- New Career Reward Rooms
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Sims now accrue PTO by going to work, and can use their PTO to take a paid day off without losing work performance
- Sims also want to take time off, and may get tense if they don’t
- Sims will start off with 3 days PTO already accrued, so they can start work and immediately take a long weekend to recover.
- Family leave
- Parents can now take paid time off for the birth of their baby
- Moms can take time off during the third trimester. Sorry dads, you have to wait until after the birth to take time off
- Family Leave is separate from PTO, and does not affect your PTO balance.
- Thanks to great player feedback, we made some pretty important changes to Career and Aspiration objectives. Please take a moment to review your Aspirations and Careers, as some of the objectives have possibly changed. Our main goals with this update were to:
- Get rid of objectives that were too specific or repetitive
- Fix objectives that were too difficult and/or too big of a jump from previous steps (e.g., going from requiring 2 friends to 6 friends)
- The Holiday Celebration Pack is available for you to unlock, completely free!
- New Objects, including a wreath, wall decorations, and a grinning holiday snowman!
- Some new Holiday Sweaters for your Sims (including winner of the fan voted sweater, #4)!
- Here are the instructions for how to get your Holiday Celebration Pack:
- The Holiday Celebration Pack can be unlocked by logging into Origin and launching The Sims 4.
- Banners within the main menu of The Sims 4 and in The Gallery will show the option to redeem the “Holiday Celebration Pack”.
- Click on the respective banner to surface an in-game pop up that will place the Holiday Celebration Pack in your shopping cart.
- No payment information will be required to check out.
- You will then be directed to an order confirmation page. Click the “Close” button.
- After closing, you will receive a notification that your content is preparing for download. Click the “OK” button.
- Once the download is complete, a notification will inform you that the Holiday Celebration Pack has been successfully installed.
- You will need to restart The Sims 4 in order to see content from the Holiday Celebration Pack in your game.
- Alternatively, you can also redeem the Holiday Celebration Pack via Origin.com. Simply follow the instructions to download and install the pack into your game.
The Not Quite as Big New
- A new Holiday themed speaker can be found in the Audio sort of Build mode, with all new Winter Holiday songs!
- The Strictly Business Gnome is ready for action! Maybe he’s late for an important business meeting, or maybe he’s just left the bank with an unexpected withdrawal. Only he knows!
- When your Sims get grungy from low hygiene, they will now look the part! Grunge is in, well in the 90s it was, so like 15 years ago, practically yesterday.
- Sims can now EAT the fruits and veggies they harvest from Gardening!
- Warning! Sims can now die at venues! You have been warned… We didn’t increase the chance of death or anything like that, it’s just you can die now. So it’s not so much a warning, as a public service announcement. Announcement served.
- New colors have been added to several existing doors, windows, and roof trims.
The Gallery New
- Gallery Build Improvements: We’ve made it easier than ever to grab rooms from the Gallery by placing a big ol’ button in the Saved Rooms sort. We’ve also re-arranged the tabs to be friendlier. They were pretty friendly before but now they are downright social.
- Gallery in CAS: We’ve integrated the Gallery into your Create a Sim experience in two ways.
- The first is a Randomize button at the center bottom of the screen. Click the button to randomly pull in new Sims from the Gallery without leaving CAS!
- Secondly, when creating new family members, you have the button right there to look for them in the Gallery.
- Objects resized using cheats now preserve their status when uploaded to the Gallery.
- Custom Content and Mods will no longer display by default in the Gallery. To see them, check the “Include Custom Content” flag in Advanced filters on the left.
- Custom Content and Mods uploaded will now be automatically flagged as Custom Content.
- You can also mark them as such to help your fellow community members better navigate this content.
- Want new neighbors? Simply click on an empty house next door and select “Move in Household From Gallery.” You’ll be taken to the Gallery where you can pick your new neighbors. Move in a great family or some total weirdo, then go visit them seconds later.
The Cheaty-Face New
- Have you satisfied your Sim today? Whims and Aspirations, both give satisfaction! And now, so does this cheat: sims.give_satisfaction_points #! Spend time working on whims and aspirations, OR just forget the whole thing and cheat your way to victory! (Don’t forget to use testingcheats true first).
- Speaking of cheats, well, if these two release notes remain side by side, then this will totally make sense, but if they get re-ordered, then this is really going to be confusing, but let’s assume they stay side by side. So, speaking of cheats, bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement is now available to immediately unlock all career rewards! (I tried to get them to add at least 20 more characters to the cheat title, careerrewardunlockgoodiesforfree, but the engineers were afraid we’d overflow a sock, or stack, or something like that).
- Set as Head cheat is now actually usable. This was a cheat we shipped with base game but required a Sim and Object ID, which oddly, is not accessible. This is now a shift click option on the object. Turn on testing cheats, select a Sim, shift click on an object and choose Set as Head. Have fun!
- Hint: Sims will still use objects when oddly placed.
- Can you say MOO? The Move Object cheat is now available!
- Use bb.moveobjects to ignore placement rules, and push the limits of your home creativity!
- In addition, while holding the object, you can use the “0” key to move an object down, and the “9” key to move the object up*. The object doesn’t have to be against a wall
- *For those of you that use saved camera positions, we are aware of the shortcut key conflict, and are working to fix this. But we felt the up/down behavior was just too awesome not to mention it.
Build / Graphics
- Walls were not appearing correctly in cutaway view if placed near a stairway.
- Fixed an issue where setting a non-1st floor door as the Front Door would not persist after entering Live Mode and returning to Build.
- The violin will no longer fade at inappropriate distances while the Sim is playing it.
Crash / Performance
- Fixed a crash that could occur if the game was exited while a move in sequence was in progress.
- Game will no longer crash when attempting to place a roof nowhere near your lot. Um… yea, the roof, drag it really far away from your lot, and then click. You won’t crash now.
- Doing edge case-y things has a chance of confusing our codebase. In this case, if you, by way of the merge household dialog, completely swap two families (basically house swap), you will no longer infinitely load as you attempt to return to the game.
Gameplay / Tuning
- When loading a lot, you will now load into the correct lot for the Sim you have chosen, rather than load into their home lot where they may not currently be.
- Fixed an issue in which killing a Sim in a 1×1 enclosure was preventing the Reaper from completing their task of soul collection, which in turn resulted in the Sim remaining married to their living spouses, which in turn prevented the living spouse from being able to remarry… yea, well you’d be surprised how common this actually is among Sims players.
- NPC Sims leaving an event or job were not returning to their normal attire, which resulted in Sims wandering around in their work outfits, sleepwear, workout outfits, at inappropriate times. Sims should now appear in more appropriate attire for when and where they are.
- Switching between Sims who are on different lots will remember where the Sims were when last you left them (more like a modern day drama, as opposed to an 80’s sitcom that has no memory of what happened last time), rather than stacking up on the sidewalk.
- Fixed an issue where if a plant was on a location other than the ground of the 1st floor, it would cause the Sim to wander to a seemingly random spot on the lot when requested to weed.
- You no longer need to click on the sign post to fish, just click on the area near the fishing spots to begin angling!
- Fireplaces were not starting nearby objects on fire… now should a fire erupt, they have a chance to do so. Makes you re-think that stack of books on the mantel piece, doesn’t it?
- The chess piece is connected to the chess table, which is connected to the chair, which is connected to the Sim. And now there is a tooltip that explains this symbiotic relationship if you attempt to play chess at a table without a chair. Please be warned, there is currently no tooltip that explains why you can’t play chess if there is no Sim.
- Updated the text that explains the benefits of the Premium Prima Ballerina, to now say Inspiring Décor: 9, rather than Environment.
- The Astro Model Rocket now allows you to View Focused Work which will give the Sim a Centered by Art buff.
- Find a Collectible whims are now 150% more satisfying!
- Find a Collectible whims will now give you 25 satisfaction points instead of 10.
- Nah, I’m sticking with – 150% MORE AWESOMER! (feels like there should be an explosion here… go turn on something furious or fast, and then reread this)
- Sims can now paint different quality Focused paintings.
- Insane children can now talk to themselves. What? No, I didn’t tell them anything, shh.
- If you cancel cooking before the Sim takes the ingredients out of the fridge, you will now be refunded the Simoleons and the Ingredients.
- Sims who choose to autonomously solve for social on the computer will continue to do so until they reach a satisfactory level (green) or another motive becomes more pressing.
- Children have begun to understand the finer points of the Card Table, and now get Mental skill while playing cards.
- If your Sim chooses to shower immediately after taking a bubble bath in the Double Delight shower tub, they will no longer shower in their clothes.
- You can no longer drag a dirty plate into a broken sink and expect it be cleaned… yea, we’re tough on dirt like that.
- Sims will no longer clean up books that were being read to a child by another Sim.
- “You were done with that.”
- “No, I…”
- “Not a question!”
- The Honorary SimGuru achievement will now properly award you for playing the game for 100 hours. No quitters! Sit down, and achieve! See you in 5 days.
- Prepared Sims, who have pre-purchased a bassinet, will no longer be misinformed that their newly adopted child is at daycare upon returning home.
- Sims can now Point Out Constellations all the way until 6am… an extra 4 hours of “There it is!” “Where?” “Right there next to that really bright star.” “The moon?” “No, the star! The moon isn’t even a star!” “Wait, which star?” “Oh, for the love of… look RIGHT there!” “What are we looking for?”
- Reading aloud in a spooky voice, and gently shaking your monitor, would really help to sell the feeling I’m going for here.
- It’s a dark and spoooooky night (or day, or really the bug can happen at any time).
- Your parents have left you all alone (they left to go adopt a child, and you, a baby, have found yourself at day care while they are away).
- Time passes, your parents return, but you neeeeever do! Oooooooo! Woooooo!
- … until… NOW, because we fixed the bug. (But are you, really you? Oooooo? Wooooo?).
- There is something about saying voodoo that makes you want to say the phrase ‘Who do? You do’ immediately after, which says absolutely nothing about the bug that was fixed. Which is that you can now live drag the Voodoo Doll.
- Nature aspirations (Freelance Botanist, Angling Ace, and The Curator) will now count towards the Over-Achiever achievement.
- The Own a Microphone goal for the Joke Star aspiration will now complete with all microphones, and not just the default choice.
- The unbreakable Princess Cordelia’s Bathtub will no longer break.
- Sims with the Hilarious trait were finding their jokes falling flat more often than they should. We have increased the chance of success significantly, though even the funniest of Sims can have an off day.
- It came to our attention, that the Self-Cleaning Upgraded Toilets Union (SCUTU) has expressed concern that Sims are not treating them with respect. Their grievance is that they are taken for granted. And as such, in a silent protest of porcelain solidarity, have refused to allow themselves to be cleaned should a Sim vomit within their bowlish confine. We have approached this matter with the greatest of care, allowing each side to air their issues, and in the end, SCUTU has agreed to keep themselves clean of all things foreign and domestic, in exchange for the occasional nod of recognition from a nearby Sim.
- Practice Fighting can now be cancelled while in the action queue.
- Sims who are at maximum for a given skill will no longer be able to incorrectly build that skill while off lot using the Away Actions.
- Children can now travel to the Forgotten Grotto! One less forgotten.
- Platonic romantic relationships were not allowing the Sims to sleep in the same bed… not many of our players ran into this issue.
- Decreased the rate of weight gain by 1/2. However, Sims will still get fat at the same rate as before, if they eat when not hungry.
- Sims will no longer autonomously drink from the fridge, which was resulting in them getting autonomously fat.
- Sims can now complete the WooHoo! Achievement… so what are you waiting for? Get out there and get those Sims achieved!
- The Hidden Bookcase Door unlocked from the Secret Agent career, now allows you to knock on it. Which means it is less secret and less hidden by roughly 20%.
- Fixed an issue that was initiating relationship decay immediately upon travel, leaving our Sims with a yearning to understand the phrase ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder,’ as it was most certainly not the case.
- Promised or Engaged to a Sim that dies will now clear their promised and engaged bit, so that you don’t have to wait around for their ghost in order to find a new love.
- The rate at which objects break has been decreased, and high end objects will break even less often than previously.
- Elders will no longer be the primary age group found at the lounge.
- Fitness will now play a role in determining who wins a Fight.
- Farmer Flower and Fruit seed pack will now give you flower and fruit seeds.
- Farmer Veggies and Herb seed pack will now give you veggies and herbs.
- Neither seed pack will give you farmers.
- You can now invite “at work” Sims to your parties.
- Plantain has been added as a collectible in the Gardening section of collections.
- Retired Sims will no longer receive two paychecks each day… thieving ol’ timers!
- Gardening skill interactions Research Gardening, Fertilize, and Splice now unlock at earlier levels.
- More drinks are now available to make at level 1 Mixology, including the Angry, Flirty, and Focused emotional drinks.
- The chance to find the cowplant while fishing has been increased. Which lends credence to the popular phrase, “You can lead a cowplant to water, but you can’t make him not offer cake to the first lure that passes by, thusly ripping him from the watery depths, only to be unleashed within the soils of the Sim filled land, where essence, gloriously effervescent essence, awaits their frosting-filled gullets.”
- Successful mischief actions now give 50% more mischief skill!
- Fish stored in the refrigerator will no longer decay as if they were sitting on a marble slab, at noon, outside, beneath a blistering mid-summer sun.
- Sims will no longer autonomously salvage your TV’s, stereos, and other electronics for spare parts.
- Sims will now swim at pools placed at venues.
- Bladder motive will now decrease at a slower rate while Sims are sleeping.
- Ideal mood for Interstellar Smuggler is now Energized.
- Working out at home no longer satisfies the workout at the gym goal of the Athletic aspiration, unless you have gone through the effort to convert your home into a gym venue, in which case, working out at home will totally satisfy this goal and I just lied to you.
- Punching bag now counts as a piece of workout equipment when solving for the Bodybuilder aspiration goal.
UI / Interface Updates
- All Information panels in the bottom right are now viewable for all Sims all of the time! Including while your Sim is at work!
- The Career panel has had a face lift, pulling some hidden information out of the tooltips, changing the layout, just a little spritz.
- The Collections Panel will no longer rearrange itself every time you open it.
- Sims now advertise their age in the Nameplate. No more “are you a teen?” mishaps.
- The Phone Menu, jealous of the Career panel’s body work, has also had a face lift. A little tuck, tightening, and primping all around.
- Screenshot taking is now available in Create a Sim! Once you have everything set up the way you want, hit “C” to take your shot!
- Late for Work icon has been moved so it is now visible in the Sim skewer portrait (Yep, we call it a skewer. Go back to Sims 2 and look at it again).
- Filters for the purchase dialog were sometimes confused about which purchase dialog was being displayed – seed filters would show when purchasing a book and likewise. Fixed this.
- You can now use the mouse wheel to scroll in the Lessons menu. The Lessons are found in the ESC menu. It’s the 3 dot icon in the upper right. Where the options are…
- The credits scroll bar will no longer fight against your desire to scroll with it. The Aspiration panel has been given more prominence in the UI.
- We’ve asked that the Aspirations panel works harder to make it better for you to access them (at any hour), and provide a faster and stronger presence while doing it.
- The Sims portrait will no longer continue to say your Sim is asleep if you cancel their autonomous sleeping action.
Thank you for all your feedback, keep it coming!
Release Notes for 25/11/2014, version 184.108.40.206
Just a small update for the end of November! Hopefully you have kept healthy this past month *sniff*. It feels as though a minor plague has swept through the Studio, knocking folks down one after another. But that aside, we have fixed some crashes, addressed some community concerns, and sorted out a few other fixes that just happened to sneak their way into this release.
As always, the community has been doing an excellent job of keeping us on our toes. A new batch of fixes is on its way out with this release, including the un-breaking of the Add to Family cheat, a Sim pruning issue, and some water opacity issues. Thank you for your feedback, keep it up!
Crashes / Performance
- Fixed a crash that was the result of long term gameplay instability in the UI framework that only occurred after moving, traveling, creating new families, and building for some time. Also known as playing the game.
- We fixed a crash reported on the modding forums where custom content clones of hats and hairs could cause a crash on Intel graphics cards due to an issue with the skinning code.
- Fixed a crash wherein should you click on an underwater light and change the dimness setting, and you do that again, and you do it again, and then again, again, again, again, again… the game would crash. The waters are safe again.
- The game was freezing under some circumstances when a swimming Sim attempted to use an object found outside the pool. We have fixed all issues that we have found resulting in this freeze, and prevented the freeze from occurring in those cases we have not found. It’s magic.
- We fixed a bug where close family relationships were still getting pruned if they lived in different households. Previously, we were looking at each household individually, which was incorrect. For example, say you have a Sim with two children and one of them moves out. The second child then has a kid who also has a kid who also has a kid. Then the original Sim dies, but the child who moved out is still alive. That dead Sim should not be culled because he/she still has a living child.
- The Vidame Hostess Station was causing Sims to freeze if objects that the Sim wanted to interact with were placed on top of it. We contemplated renaming the surface to the Vidame Hostess Station of Mesmerizing Never-endedness but opted to fix the issue instead.
- Casual “if you were swimming before you went to work” Workdays have been cancelled, and Sims will once again spin into their work outfit before going to work.
- On a side note, folks are happy that Casual “if you were swimming before you went to work” Workdays have been cancelled, because it was just too much to say.
- Children and Teens can no longer be modified with the sims.add_buff Buff_Pregnancy_Trimester3 cheat.
- The release of Pools introduced an issue with visitation that hid the Visit interaction when clicking on the door of a neighbor’s home. You can now click on your neighbor’s door to visit them once again!
- In addition, there was an issue with being able to set which door was the front door on your home lot. That too has been fixed.
- The Add to Family cheat has been re-enabled.
- We fixed water opacity issues where the water was turning opaque on some graphic configurations.
Tuning / Graphics
- Fixed an issue that was preventing live drag from functioning when dragging from a Sims Inventory to an Object Inventory (such as a fridge or bookshelf).
- The game will no longer fail to save if you have over (Step 1: Face computer. Step 2: Place fingertip marked A next to lip corner marked B. Step 3: Say clearly but elongate the quoted phrase) “1 million” satisfaction points.
- Ambrosia will no longer be eaten autonomously by your Sims.
- We fixed an animation issue that can best be described as “we fixed an issue that caused Sims to scratch their back with their elbows when they chose to sit at the edge of a pool with a drink in their hand.” It wasn’t pretty. Thankfully no Sims were permanently scarred by the experience.
- Sims who sat at the edge of a pool during the moment of bladder failure found they were unable to satisfy their bladder. Whereas had they been in the pool…
- Pregnant Sims have temporary immunity from drowning per a previously agreed upon pact with the Reaper. However, if the pregnant Sim found that they “should” have died while in the pool, their buffs would get all wonky (actual technical term as used by the production team). The buff wonkiness has been fixed.
- Death by drowning will now count towards the Vengeful Deity Achievement.
- Swimming Laps will now help to alleviate the Not Enough Exercise buff that Active Sims can get.
- Pool ladders have an interaction “Get In” that you can choose when clicking on them. Now, when you choose that action, it will do something. EDIT: Nope, not true. I have had strong words with the Gnome and told him to get his facts right in future. He is suitably chastised. Pool ladders have an interaction “Get In” that you can choose when clicking on them. That interaction never worked. So, we removed the interaction from the ladders. To get in, you now have to click on the pool. Which sort of makes sense when you think about it.
- If a Sim decided to cancel their adventure in the Forgotten Grotto to go swimming, the Forgotten Grotto would forget that Sim existed, preventing them from adventuring within her forgotten realm. We have spoken to the Forgotten Grotto, explaining that the pool is just another place that Sims want to go, that they have not forgotten the Grotto, they will return once again, but that the Forgotten Grotto can’t forget them, and they must be allowed once again to enter the Forgotten Grotto, lest they be forgotten and thusly forget the Forgotten Grotto. The Forgotten Grotto, jealous… yes. But also forgiving.
It’s time to go swimming! November, sunshine, swimming, splashing, the warmth of the su… well, we are international, so it’s sunny for some. Anyway, Pools are here! And your Sims are ready to jump in and splash around!
- Jump into Create a Sim to customize your Swimwear!
- Choose from the Styled Looks to quickly swim up your Sim; or choose the perfect one or two-piece bikini, swim trunks or budgie smugglers!
- Top off your creation with a hat, some sandals, and a dab of sunscreen down the bridge of your nose, and you are ready to go!
- Build out your pool in Build Mode by clicking on the Build tab, and the Pools image in the home portrait
- You can place pre-fashioned pool blocks (triangle, square, diagonal, or octagon), or you can use the Pool Tool to draw your own pool.
- Pools can be built on any floor of your home or venue.
- Decorate and enhance your pool with pools lights, install a ladder, customize the wall and floor textures to your liking then plop down some decals or add some windows for that aquarium’esque experience!
- Sims can enjoy the comforts of your newly built pool, whether they are socializing as they dangle their digits in the water, splashing the kids, or putting themselves out after being set on fire by an angry ghost who had died from a tragic poolside grilling accident.
- Be wary of the hungry and fatigued, a moment too long in the pool has been known to cause a lack of living. The Reaper will gladly accept your pleas, though he may not always oblige them.
Build out your dream home (with pool included) or head to the Gallery to find the wondrous creations of your fellow S(w)immers , and spend the day with your Sims by the poolside!
In addition to releasing Pools in this update, we have also spent time fixing some bugs and continuing to enhance the game:
Our players have been instrumental in helping us track down the small eye, wide jaw issue that was interfering with some Sims as they aged up both in Live Mode and in Create a Sim. Working with the community, and our internal quality assurance group, we have reverted the tuning as Sims changed ages that resulted in a shrinking of the eyes, and a widening of the jaw. It is intentional that Sims change slightly as they age but the tuning we were using wasn’t performing as we expected as of yet. Thank you once again for your patience and diligence in helping us resolve this
Crashes / Performance
- Several performance issues were found and addressed with this release, and we will continue to look into improving performance across the board.
- Fixed an issue that could result in the player being unable to place a room from the gallery if it contained a slotted object.
- Fixed an issue that would prevent you from loading an older save with an updated version of the game.
- Sometimes the game crashes in a completely logical fashion and sometimes…
- We fixed an issue that would cause household members to delete themselves, but only if a household of more than one began their existence at the Potters Splay lot, one member of the household then traveled to visit the Pique Hearth or Rindle Rose household, and then returned home to find their other household members have gone missing. The Potters Splay lot has been thoroughly exorcised and made safe for Sim living once again.
- On a similar note, there was a counter and an oven at Yuma Heights that could cause a crash, these too have been fixed.
- We fixed a freeze that could occur when attempting to move in with a homeless Sim if you changed your mind (having realized they don’t have a home) and attempted to back out of the move-in flow.
- Rejoice! You can once again choose to move in with the homeless even though they don’t have a home. You can decide to not move in to their homeless home, but rather choose to move into a new home with them, or move the homeless Sim into your home.
Tuning / Graphics
- Fixed an issue that resulted in a placed counter sink being deleted when the player moved the counter.
- You can now search for “TV” in Build Mode, because it turns out nobody uses the word television.
- Fixed an issue with newly created Sims made from an older shared household overwriting the original household.
- Fixed an issue where Sims refused to clean up books if the action was initiated through the bookshelf. It seems Sims prefer to be told directly, rather than the bookshelf leaning over and whispering “Hey, my books are showing.”
- Fixed an issue that resulted in elder female Sims forgetting they had two legs, and instead walking with a one-legged stutter step, “Pardon me m’lady, but you have two legs.”
- Fixed an issue that could occur during the swapping of the Urn and Tombstone models that would result in the urn/tombstone forgetting what it was and losing all functionality.
- On a side note, why use the word “could”? It turns out that bugs do not occur for all people, often due to the complexity of what is happening in the code. In this issue, the reproducible case that allowed us to verify the issue as resolved required you to perform an action an unreasonable number of times in succession, in order to see the issue occur once.
- Fixed an issue where Sims were choosing to kneel at improper moments, being socially awkward, kneeling at the dining table, or similarly strange occurrences.
- Children will no longer levitate when attempting to blow out the candles of a cake on a counter. Nobody believed the levitation really occurred anyway, and those who “saw” the levitation are no longer available for comment.
- Fixed an issue with Ghosts possessing Grills, that would cause them to open the grill, examine the contents, close the grill, and then jump in. We have informed the ghosts that the contents of the grill will have no bearing upon their dietary preferences, nor will they be viewed any differently for choosing to possess a grill when they just feel like possessing a grill.
- Fixed an issue that would result in multiple Sims standing in the same place when they chose to play as sea monster.
- It was noted that this bug made them look like a sea monster, so… an internal debate rose regarding the believable nature of the issue. Were the Sims expressing their inner monster as they played Sea Monster? Should we take that away from them? Did we even have the right to? As the producers were busy debating the philosophical merits involved, planning meetings, and contemplating the social ramifications… the engineer fixed it. And well here we are, with our Sims sea monsterly expression ripped from them.
- The simple way to state it: We fixed an issue where auto counters would stop working correctly after modifying the nearby architecture.
- The not so simple way: When placing a counter perpendicular to a wall, and placing a second counter opposite to it, then placing a third counter positioned in front of the second one as if you were attempting to create a corner with auto-counters, then deleting the wall, and then once again attempt to create a corner piece, was resulting in auto-counters losing functionality. We fixed this.
- Fixed an issue that would cause undo and redo to stop working if the undo action undid a foundation doing.
- Fixed an issue when deleting an object with other objects slotted to it, with the sledgehammer that prevented undo from returning the slotted objects (or, if you deleted a table with a vase on it, and then chose to undo the action, the vase would not come back).
- Fixed a “quick-click” issue. Delete floor, exit Build Mode, Sim is floating! Ta-dah!
- Fixed an interface issue with the remove ceiling button flickering when the cursor hovered over it.
- Fixed an interface issue that would result in the Build Mode catalog failing to properly open when switching between Build and Live Modes.
- Learning time: By the way, in case you were curious on the correct pronunciation of Live, simply say to yourself “I Build in Build mode, and I Live in Live mode.”
Thank you for everything
Hello Simmers, readers of patch notes, and other developers who just happen to be searching the internet for examples of how other teams are writing up their release notes!
We had a few issues we felt needed to be addressed sooner rather than later, and have tackled them in today’s patch! Many of these issues were brought forth by the community through the forums. We thank you for your efforts, your posts, and your focus in helping us create a better experience with The Sims 4.
Some bugs you might be keen to know were fixed: The “Eye and jaw width looks funky” bug! The “I can’t get married if my fiancé died” issue! And the “My Sims can’t age up anymore” bug.
The other issues which we have fixed are detailed below, and we are always dedicated to fixing performance and gameplay blocking issues in order to provide the best gaming experience possible. Please keep posting on the forums. We do read them and we are tracking issues that you are finding. Thank you!
Crashes / Performance
- Fixed an issue where the game could enter into an infinite load after all Sims in a household had died.
- Fixed a performance issue resulting in too many hidden Sims being created for “just in case” scenarios. Resulting in a large number of Sims being loaded that were not needed.
- Scrolling left in the Memory timeline will no longer freeze your game. Yea… we just… don’t ask…
- Fixed an issue that was caused by placing a Sim from the gallery into multiple households that could result in either simply causing the appearance to revert to the original Sims appearance, or could cause the household to become unplayable.
- Fixed an issue that would result in the player being unable to place a Room from the Gallery if the room had been uploaded with a single plate of food.
- Fixed an appearance issue that caused Sims to incorrectly appear with small eyes and wide jaws on age up. This was a result of a modifier value being improperly ignored for one age group, that resulted in the value being incorrectly applied, and was exacerbated if a Sim moved into or out of that age group.
- The grieving period is over… Sims can now attempt to marry again if their fiancé has died.
- Players can once again tell their Sim to age up with a cake, regardless of the Auto Age setting. On a side note, I feel strongly as though I should have used the word irregardless, if only to anger my co-workers who contend that the word is not a word. I feel however, that it is a perfectly fine word, irregardless of their feelings.
- Fixed an issue where Widows and Widowers were not being properly given their relationship status as Widows and Widowers.
- Sims made from the same Gallery Sim will now properly populate the world as desired, rather than secretly kill off their clones before moving into the world.
- Fixed an issue where Ambrosia was “sort of” allowing itself to be copied in Build Mode, however, while it was charging full price for the copy, it was only delivering an empty plate with FX.
- Resurrected Ghosts by way of Ambrosia, will properly age up upon their return to the land of the living… which is unfortunate because they are just going to die again.
- Fixed an issue with the Throw 5 Parties goal not counting thrown parties correctly, making it impossible to throw a party that would satisfy the Throw 5 Parties goal. We have thrown together a few lines of code, talked to all parties involved, and verified that it is once again possible to throw a party that satisfies the Throw 5 Parties goal.
- Fixed an issue preventing Ghosts from showing up as valid targets in some Sim Picker dialogs, such as Write Love Email or Send Spam Money Request to.
- Teens can now write Love Emails to other Teens.
- Ghostly Repair will now satisfy the Repair an Object whim.
- Added a venue wall speaker for the Spooky station into the debug catalog.
- Fixed an issue that would cause a Sim to attempt to repair a working shower, if the broken shower was on the 2nd floor.
UI / Text
- Manage households will no longer show empty households as a result of Sims dying from old age.
- Fixed an improper string update which resulted in the 1st goal of the Writing aspiration informing you that you should “Read 1 Book at the Library,” rather than the correct goal of “Beat Writer’s Block”. Odd that the writing aspiration had an error in the text.
First off we would like to say thank you to all of the help we have received from the community in identifying and tracking down issues. We love listening and learning from all that you do, and are always striving to make The Sims 4 the most solid game it can be. We love your stories and we greatly appreciate all your help! With that, we have a lot to share about what’s new, some fixes, and what have we done to your game? So, let’s go!
Ghosts! Ready to go and in your game, just jump in and start killing your Sims! Well, I mean, you can… nicely kill them? Or just lock them in a room for a couple days, um, without any food or water. That’s one way to do it, but will take awhile so if you’re really impatient maybe just set them on fire. Oh, this isn’t going well. Look, if you happen to see a ghost, however he or she got there, and we aren’t judging, then you can experience all new interactions like “Ghost Scare,” “Ghost Repair,” or “Pass Through”, new aspirations and whims, and new behaviors as they float happily, angrily, or howeverily about!
- When a Sim dies, they become a non-playable ghost
- Use the “Invite to Household” interaction to make a ghost into fully playable member of your household!
- Ghosts can have relationships, get married, woohoo, hold jobs, build aspirations, earn traits, or just be!
- Ghosts have a unique post life experience based upon how they died…
- Sims that died by hunger seek to satisfy their hunger in the after life
- Sims that died by overexertion and old age find they prefer to take it easy in the afterlife
- Sims that died by fire have a new interaction available to them… when, well, try and not make them angry
- Sims that died by an emotional death can radiate their emotion onto other Sims
- Sims that died by electrocution, when angry, have a unique interaction to break electronic devices. They also seem to really enjoy the “Hand Buzzer” social.
- Sims that died by Cowplant have the desire to harm and help the plant world. They can cause plants to die when in a negative emotion, but will care for plants when in a positive emotion.
- Ghosts can possess objects, and they can repair broken objects when possessed
- Ghosts have new interactions available to them, such as “Ghost Scare,” “Pass Through,” and “Talk About Death”
- Level 10 Gourmet cooks have a new recipe “Ambrosia”, which can be used to bring a Ghost to life (or give a Sim renewed life)!
- There is a new gardening flower type, the Deathflower, which can be used by a Sim to save themselves or another when visited by the Reaper!
Or before you go out hunting for ghosts, head into Create a Sim where you can find some incredible costumes from the Star Wars universe! How can you go wrong with a Yoda child ghost Sim in a Happy mood sitting on a rooftop balcony looking down upon a young adult who has just completed some sort of epic universe saving event? You can’t. Yoda, Leia, and Darth Vader costumes await you in Create a Sim!
With the addition of ghosts, even the gnomes are not safe from the call of the Netherworld. “The Ghastly Ghostly Gnome” has scared his way into your Build catalog, eagerly awaiting a place in your home!
We have identified a few more of our harder to track down crash issues, some tuning fixes, a couple new cheats, and a smattering of other fixes! Here are the details…
Cheats / Assets
- We have added a cheat to show hidden objects, such as the ponds, channel specific stereos for venue use, and many other items. Open up the cheat console ([CTRL]+[SHFIT]+[C]) and type “bb.showhiddenobjects”. You can use the Build Filter pane to find the Debug objects under the Content drop down.
- 5 new eye colors! Dark blue, dark blue hazel, gray brown hazel, olive green hazel, and purple! Create a Sim, go NOW!
- A new Spooky station can be found on your stereos! It’s scary how good the music is! It’ll BOOm… your boxes. It’s funnier if you make the “m” silent in that last one.
- A new Create a Sim clock speed cheat allows you to speed up and slow down your Sim’s animation in Create a Sim. Use the cheat by typing “cas.clockspeed [0-10]” in the cheat console window. 0 is pause, 10 is not!
Crashes / Performance
- Corrected an issue where the interaction to “Write a Book” was not properly saving, causing the save file to error
- Loading a lot and selecting Sim to play who is off lot now loads to the correct Sim
- Fixed an issue where the UI might forget that a household exists and not allow the player into Build Buy
- This primarily was a result of the player deleting all households in their neighborhood, but could occur as the result through other means
- Fixed an issue that could cause the game to become non-responsive if the user uploaded an unfinished venue from their home lot and then attempted to reenter Build via Manage Worlds from the lot
- The household Sims were incorrectly being removed from the world, leaving the player in a bad state and unable to play
- Some in game circumstances can lead to the product ID becoming lost, resulting in a possible crash. The crash has been fixed by adding a Null Guard (he’s a pretty good guard).
- Fixed an issue where the Off Lot actions were not always available after loading an existing save file
- Sims who are reading or eating should no longer reset when changing wall heights of rooms that are nowhere near them
- Lowering the foundation will no longer cause cabinets to be placed into the household inventory in certain circumstances
- Fixed a floating Sim issue that would sometimes occur when the Sim decided that the direct “air” path was shorter than any of the alternate options
- Sims will no longer route fail when attempting to perform the “Sell to the Simsonian Museum” action on an Unnaturally Large Space Rock
- The Sims 4 default refresh rate is now the same setting as the windows refresh rate
- ymBottom_PantsLoosePajamas and ymBottom_PantsLoosePajamasSatin were merged into a single asset in Create a Sim. They are now 2.
- Some hair and hat combinations created bad geometry along the Sims scalp, we have adjusted the geometry to correct the issue
- yfBody_CocktailStrap_Red is now a selectable color for the Bombshell dress found in Create a Sim
- “Mega Stairs (Ooh Fancy)” stairs now have color variants that are actually different than one another
- “Stack of Canvases” career reward item will no longer disappear when placed next to a wall and the wall cuts away
- Fixed graphical issues with the highlight and back-facing state of the “Captain Chaz MacFreeling Elegant Mirror.”
- “Malva – Square” ground plant will no longer place underground
- The “Barnish Bed” will no longer find that its pillow becomes possessed when a Sim gets in bed – a LOD (level of detail) issue resulted in the pillow bouncing around on its own when Sims went to sleep
- Sims now have more painting variety at all levels – high level Sims will paint “beneath” their level at a chance of higher quality
- Sims can now listen to music and play chess at the same time!
- Librarians can now also be young adults and can be either male or female. Previously they were always female elders. Stereotyping… don’t do it!
- The “Enable / Disable Emotional Aura” interactions now have tooltips explaining what they do
- “Try to Calm Down,” “Vent,” “Complain about Problems,” and “Take Bath” actions will now help resolve the “Not Enough Exercise,” “Need Video Games!,” “Conception Tension,” “Stale Surroundings,” and “Cooped Up” buffs that Sims get when feeling tense
- Fixed an issue where Sims with a high Cooking skill were guaranteed to never start fires while cooking. It is true that our Sims are quite intelligent, however it is also well documented that even the best Sim is still a little prone to the accidental setting ablaze of their luxurious mansion. Sims above level 3 cooking skill can once again start fires while cooking… it is just unlikely.
- The final Milestone of the Nerd Brain aspiration now only requires that a Sim read 10 (not 15) books in order to complete
- “Earn Money Turking” was providing a large amount of Simoleons within a short amount of time, this was not the intention and the amount you earn has been reduced
- Toys that say they increase a Childs creativity, now actually do
- “Writing a Jingle” will now pay your Sim for doing so. There was a bug with writing a jingle on the guitar that could result in no Simoleons being paid
- The Serenade’er will no longer get all the buff benefit from the Serenade. The Serenade’ee will now also receive a positive buff from the Serenade when being Serenaded to by the Serenade’er
- Time based achievements and buffs were not always tracking correctly. Fixed a visual issue with the tracking, as well as fixed the “Just Getting Started” and “In the Game” achievements
- The “Fridge of Steel” and “Fresh Maker” upgrades on the refrigerator were completing too quickly, they have been tuned a little slower
- Gym Rats will no longer lose hygiene while doing a “Zero G Workout”
- Science table emotion potions will now provide positive buffs, rather than just make you uncomfortable
- Autonomous Sims were finding it impossible to die by Cowplant because they would, during the moment of death, attempt to queue a Get Comfortable interaction, which, not being compatible with the Cowplants attempt at eating the Sim, would cause the Sim to reset, thus saving the Sim from death (woo!). We’re sorry to say, we fixed the issue, once again putting our Sims in jeopardy with the Cowplant digestive desires.
- Intergalactic Growth Pods will no longer be resistant to your attempts to water and weed – the pods have decided life is good. Water and weed as needed
- Sims with unpaid bills will no longer find that the water & power has been shut off everywhere they go – you can properly mooch from your neighbors
- Fishing interactions now correctly display emotional context in the Pie Menu.
- A collectibles rarity will now affect its value
- Adopting a baby will now give all the parents adopting a proper buff for doing so
- Sims with spoiled food in their inventory will no longer find the option to clean spoiled food from the bar… that was just weird.
- Sims were able to feed dead cow plants. While interesting and slightly morbid, it did not actually do anything. We have removed the action.
- Removed fitness gain for digging rocks
- Fixed an issue where bills were incorrectly double counting objects when calculating the household value
- We addressed a negative current issue, where Sims were dying after being electrocuted just one time. It was shocking for us all. Our hair was on end when we learned of the problem. We have quickly zapped the bug with thunderous attention and we’re a-buzz with this fix.
- The “Commercial Kitchen” styled room is now unlocked when the user reaches level 10 of the Culinary career while in the Chef branch
- Gardening plants will no longer broadcast their emotions onto nearby Sims. They have been counseled and have learned to bottle up their emotions inside… deep deep inside.
- Repair and Upgrade interactions now correctly display emotional context in the Pie Menu when your Sim is Focused
- Thank you to the community for helping to identify two issues where Child Sims were incorrectly allowed to get into the Flirty emotion, we have corrected both instances.
- Children who had maxed their social skill were incorrectly able to Flirt with themselves in the mirror
- Child Sims with the Insane trait and in the Confident mood, were incorrectly allowed to flirt with themselves in the mirror
- Romance filter option is no longer available for children while traveling (nobody ever showed up in the list, but it was odd that it was there)
- Venues converted to residential lots via Manage Worlds, will no longer prevent you from beginning the action of adding a new household to the lot if the venue value is greater than the starting funds of the new household.
- You still won’t be able to place the family on the lot if they can’t afford it, but now you are allowed to create a new household using this flow.
- Gallery notification timestamps will no longer incorrectly list your last activity as “more than a month ago” when it has been less than that
- Commenting on gallery items with the “<” character, followed by any text will no longer cause the text to disappear
- Event Major Goals now have hover tips with text explaining how to complete the goals
- Fixed an issue with Neighborhood Map context menus appearing off screen in some supported resolutions.
- Corrected an issue where the Build filter panel was being hidden when performing an open search.
Once again, thank you for all your feedback!